Thursday, February 26, 2009

tip-top shape

i used to be scheduled.

really scheduled. like stressed-out-if-i-didn't-keep-to-my-schedule scheduled.

somehow after having kids and just trying to maintain my sanity most of the time, my need to schedule so much has kind of gone out of the window. my sweet friend monique, has always motivated me and in particular, with her weekly schedule to keep her home in tip-top shape and had inspired me to create my own schedule.

yesterday my sister called and asked for my "weekly cleaning" schedule. her friend was hoping to find some guidance to creating her own schedule.

i responded: "you mean my old cleaning schedule, or my new cleaning schedule?"

nan: "you have a new cleaning schedule?"

me: "my old schedule went something like this:

Monday - mop floor, quick-clean bathrooms
Tuesday - change sheets, sheets/towels laundry, vacuum carpets
Wednesday - phil/angie laundry, dust furniture, yard work
Thursday - kids laundry, deep-clean kitchen
Friday - balance checkbook/pay bills, deep-clean bathrooms
Saturday - vacuum carpets, clean playroom
Sunday - trash to the curb
EVERYDAY - make beds, wipe down bathrooms, sweep kitchen, dishes/counter tops, declutter/pickup toys, handle mail/paperwork, take out trash/recycling

my new schedule goes like this:

Monday is always laundry day. All the laundry, including sheets.
I mop my floor when it looks like it needs mopping.
I vacuum when when it looks like it needs vacuuming.
I dust when I walk past something that needs dusting.
We balance the checkbook together on Fridays...when Phil is home."

so you get the idea? i'm happier when i just go with the flow at home. and amazingly my home stays just as clean.

nice.

7 comments:

Mands Glenn said...

I like the new one, too. Thats what I do. I just hate having laundry on two different stories. Bedrooms upstairs and washer and dryer downstairs. I hate two stories. blah! I love your new attitude.

The Frosts said...

Heh. Your new one = my new one. I do still have a bit of a laundry schedule. I wash on Mondays and Tuesdays and fold on Wed. night while I catch up on my TV. Having kids has a way of relaxing us all!

You are so nice, glad I can be a motivator :)

Fernandez Family said...

I like the new cleaning schedule. Its something that I can keep up with. I honestly felt left in the dust by you before and now I feel like you are more human...a little less superhuman. Ya know?! I love you sister and all the dang good advice I get from you. I agree with Amanda. My next house will have laundry on the same floor as the bedrooms. I'm tired of hauling laundry up and down the stairs. Forget that its a workout.

shannon said...

i am super impressed with your release of the old schedule. i've always envied you with how organized you always are. i know that living with me drove you crazy!!!

Lisa Danielson said...

wow- you were on a schedule! my cleaning goes a little something like this- Thursdays 9am-11am a group of women show up at my door during which I usually stroll the aisles at target. I know I'm such a brat--it's great though-you should try it!!

Amy Glenn said...

Oh, yeah- much better! I don't think I could ever survive using your old schedule. It stresses me out just thinking about it. Too rigid.

Glad you're happier.=)

Julie said...

Nice! I wish I had it in me but I don't. Monday is ALWAYS cleaning day at my house, unless someone is coming in to town in which case I'll wait until the day before my guest arrives. Tuesday is ALWAYS laundry day. Then I have the rest of the week to do whatever I need to do, except folding laundry always carries over into Wed, but no big deal!