the last few weeks leading up to Easter were challenging for me. my sweet little boy started hitting. it began at school, moved to church nursery and then worsened at school. his teachers were kind..."we've noticed increased agression..." one night i even locked him in his room (with books and toys...stop gasping) because he just could not seem to control the urge to swing at a friend's little girl.
then the day of the dreaded phone call..."please come and pick dylan up from school. he's hurting other children and the normal procedures for this behavior are not working."
as a parent it can be so frustrating to see your child struggle with things like hitting, biting, tantrums, misbehavior in general, etc... i was so upset that dylan had, without provocation, attacked a younger student on the playground...a little girl. i picked him up from school and took him straight home to bed.
i was angry with him. i wanted to spank him so he knew how bad it hurt to hit someone. but what kind of a lesson does that teach a young child? **spank spank* don't hit!** i was so upset that after i had him all tucked in, i left his room with binkie in hand. i walked straight to the kitchen and threw it in the trash. i was just so angry. i knew that would feel like punishment for him.
the phase has passed almost as quickly as it started. each day at preschool i get a thumbs up from his teachers..."dylan had a perfect day today..." i'm so happy that he is back to his fine form. he's just not a violent kid!
and in the end, the binkie habit has been broken.
sometimes i guess you just need a little tough love.
Thursday, April 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Ang. You did the right thing. Mom may not remember (but i do) she did the same thing to me with all my ninja turtles after i hit a girl with a book. It's good learning for him.
I agree that you did the right thing... and glad it worked. I hate spanking but can understand how an upset parent would want to do it to get their point across. But just like you said... at least in this case... what kind of lesson does that teach to hit and say "don't hit". Good job, Ang. You are a great mom!
That's so tough when your child's behavior goes through random changes like that. Even though it's completely normal, I think it's great that you "nipped it"; and to lick his binky problem, too? That's awesome. I wish I could've licked Bronwyn's habit at that age, but you can't exactly take a child's thumb away- bummer! JK. You're a great Mom, Ang.
oh my gosh, how hard was that? man, i don't know what i would even do...i think that every mother knows how to discipline their kids their own way, so i am so proud of you. and lucky on the binkies!!!
Sister, you are an incredible Mama. What a tough thing for the two of you to go through. I seriously can't imagine little Dylan even thinking about hitting someone. He is too dang cute, but kids like reaction and trying new things I guess.
Lil is going through a Whining phase ( basically wanting to communicate, but having a hard time) and sometimes I just get so frustrated and feel like I can't can't handle it. I guess new things keep coming up the older kids get and hitting is one of them. I'm so glad I have older siblings like you to look up to for help and advice.
You seriously are an amazing Mom to Dylan and Mari. You have to do it by yourself majority of the time, too.
WE MISS YOU GUYS!
p.s. OHh and I love how JJ remembers so many childhood memories! Ninja turtles and all!
Glad to hear that you've tackled that hurdle (2! if you count the binky!) It is so hard when kids do their own thing... I had never imagined that these little things would be so consuming for us as moms! But I'm learning one hurdle at a time. Thanks for blogging. You're a good example to all of us, Anj! And kudos to Dylan on reclaiming his "fine form." =)
Good for you! I'm a firm believer and using the childs "currency" to discipline them. You handled the situation perfectly. I can't imagine your handsome guy being mean though!
I'm glad to hear that phase has passed and the binkies are gone! And you're right...he's just not a violent kid!
Post a Comment