Tuesday, December 11, 2007

ser·en·dip·i·ty

Defined is:
n. pl. ser·en·dip·i·ties
1. The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.
2. The fact or occurrence of such discoveries.
3. An instance of making such a discovery.

Last night while cruising the mall for some Christmas gifts I haven't been able to find online, we chanced upon the big bearded man in Red, hidden amongst the fake snow, elf cardboard cutouts and blaring Christmas music, courtesy of the soundtrack for the new movie Fred Claus.

I had thought about taking the kids to see Santa, but truthfully, it hadn't been high on our list of priorities. See, I happen to know this guy (my dad) with the best Santa getup EVER. It is completed with pristine white gloves, the perfect black and buckled belt (not too big), the softest beard and he's even got coordinating red luggage. There is no other way to say it - it is just THE best. So no mall Santa could ever even come close. I also have some memories of feeling like a total goober, sitting on some strange man's lap, who had stinky breath and smelled of stale cigars. And sadly, in this day and age, you just never know where those Santa's have been!

Anyway, we eyed the globetrotting master of gifts from the upper level and decided to head on down, since there was no line. We selected our package, walked through the maze of roped paths to where the bearded man sat - on his 'throne'. The kids were so great - not afraid at all. They climbed right up on his knee and promptly expressed their Christmas gift wishes: Marissa, "A Little Mermaid Polly Pocket." Dylan followed with, "Cars", but Santa must not have heard through his woolen cap and when asked again, Dylan shouted, "CARS!" If you know Dylan, you'll appreciate the look on the Santa's face as his ears rang and buzzed from the thunderous sound.

As I mentioned, it was a serendipitous night - as this photo clearly shows. Though my children are clearly not dressed up for the occasion (we went straight from Mari's ballet class), we could not have planned their outfits to more perfectly match their personalities. From their hands to their facial expressions - if ever there were a photo to define Marissa and Dylan - this is it.

Ho Ho Ho

7 comments:

erin said...

I love it, Anj! What cute littles you have!

Dottie said...

That is SO adorable! Mari a princess, and Dylan such a HAM!

Amy Glenn said...

Very cute! Love getting impromptu pictures with Santa. I love that their personalities just ooze from the photo.

Mands Glenn said...

Cool story, Sis! I love this pic. of your kiddies.

The Frosts said...

Darling picture of your kiddos. I love that it captures them both so well. Have a great holiday season!

shannon said...

love the bearded one...he looks so friendly and dylan's cheeser is great!

mamanicky said...

Perfect shot of those two. That's a keeper! Hopefully that Santa wasn't too smelly.:)