Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Longest Post EVER

Ok, just be prepared...instead of lots of posts, I've decided to kind of break down the three week journey north, into one LONG easy to read one! Hope you don't mind...

Glenn 2007 Reunion

Dad's Birthday

Thomas celebrated his birthday the day after I did. We had yummy pie and enjoyed a quiet evening at home. He thought my birthday card was particularly hilarious and for that I was so proud! He got lots of books and lots of hugs and kisses.


Airport Pickups

It became tradition that whenever someone arrived, we ALL went to the airport to pick them up. It was fun trying to keep the kids entertained and of course, we all got silly. Because it was Stampede week, there was a live band covering country songs and two men at the exit to customs who would lasso unsuspecting passengers and brand them with a Stampede logo. It was funny to watch, but not nearly as funny as watching Dylan dance.



Calaway Park

Yes, it's still there! And pleasantly, not ghetto (it's been around for a long time.) We actually had a lot of fun there and I was so glad we went. The kids were so well behaved despite the incredible heat. The highlight for me, no doubt, was taking my eight-year old twin neices, Audrey and Bronwyn on the roller coaster. I was probably very near their age when I first took my ride and I remember being SO terrified. It was a blast and the girls were so brave! I was very impressed. I ended up riding on a few more things with Bronwyn - she was my park buddy that day.



Crave and Pool Fun

As mentioned in one of my sister's blogs (Tanya) she mentions cupcakes from Crave. Well of course we had to check it out for ourselves. Let me tell you, it was well worth the nearly $50 we spent on them! They were soooooooo yummy. We stopped by to get some on our way to Riley Park (a public wading pool) where we enjoyed beautiful weather and all the knee deep fun paying your taxes can get you! The kids had a blast and we enjoyed a near by farmer's market and of course, our Crave cupcakes!

Kind Brother Lily, who lives in my parent's ward, also fueled our pool fun when he had us over twice for our own private pool party in his back yard. Originally from Australia, he installed a pool years ago and opens his home and pool to pretty much anyone who will come and use it. He was so generous and kind to share it with our families. It's a perfect setup - not too big, not too deep and surrounded by shaded tables, swings and equipped with three BBQ's for delicious grilling. We had an awesome time and Dylan only barfed in the pool one time! Thanks Grandpa Tom for cleaning that up and thanks Goldie for diving for chunks. SICK!!!



Plane Watching/BBQ/Baker Park/Stampede/Sprinkler Fun/Dressup/and such...

Too many other things going on to give each it's own slide show per se, so here they're all jumbled in one. We did something on this trip that I've never done in all my 17+-years living in Calgary. We ate lunch off McKnight Blvd and watched the planes fly. Nan's hubby Matias had a baseball game nearby so we picked up Swiss Chalet (yum!) to go and picnicked (that word is very weird spelled out isn't it?) while planes flew overhead. It was such a delicious lunch and it was fun to watch the kids as the planes took off. The basebal games were fun too - Uncle Mat is quite the athlete! A special thanks to Uncle Tom for being such a great kid watcher at the playground.

We Glenn's love to entertain. Often a bbq is just part of the summer at our house. We usually have a piƱata and this year, poor Lightning McQueen was the target of the kids' relentless beatings. I have to say that my neices Kate and Audrey were the sluggers of the bunch! They put some serious muscle into their whacks. It was fun to see the Richard Glenn family that night.

It was fun to return to the place of mine and Phil's wedding reception - Baker Park - for family pictures. Actually, it wasn't all fun for me. It was about the hottest day of the trip so far and my normally calm two-year old decided to give me a run for my money. It was so frustrating! I was also having a moment as I watched my siblings and their families have their pictures taken, knowing that my love was far away. I have yet to see the results but hopefully we got some good shots! The kids were good sports for that.

Tom and Cyndi are such cool grandparents. Not only did they get all the adult kids tickets to the Grandstand Show at the Stampede, the volunteered to watch all of the grandkids. Being the ingenious people they are, they rented a blow up castle to keep the kids occupied and no doubt, to wear them out. By all accounts the kids had a blast and us adult kids did too. Thanks Mom and Dad - that was awesome and so much appreciated!

Cyndi/Goldie had some great stuff setup for the kids to keep busy. They had an art station full of coloring books, markers, sticker books and stamps. There was a toddler station in the big bedroom downstairs with blocks, train sets, stuffed animals and activity books. There was a trunk-basket with dress up clothes and accessories and Goldie even donated the use of her shoes for the girls to get dolled up in. And of course there was a movie center with lots of great videos - Mom and Dad have a sweet collection of movies. The little boys were entertained outside a lot - including a day in the sprinkler. They are all within four months of each other and they were so funny watch peeking out of the bushes and braving the cold sprinker.

One final big thank you to mom and dad for making it possible for everyone to come home. It doesn't happen often and when it does, it can get a little crazy but the kids all did pretty well and the adults enjoyed a few nights of movies and games - usually the highlight for me - and we managed to get some good shopping in there to top it off. It was a blast - thanks again Mom and Dad!!

8 comments:

Dottie said...

Great Recap! It looks like such a blast! It's terrific to have such great grandparents! My kids have one, the other three are dead beats! Kudo's to Goldie and Tom!

shannon said...

love the photogs! great memories i am sure with all your siblings and parents. it's amazing to see everyone grown up with kids and such. good thing they are all so darling!

James Yvonne and Elise said...

Great pictures and trip re-cap. Next time I am in Calgary I am getting some cupcakes from Crave. It is fun to see all of you together again. I can't believe how big everyone's kids are! Glad you are back home safe.

Lisa Danielson said...

Looks like you had a great time!! The cupcakes look so yummy! Cupcakes are my weakness!!

Amy Glenn said...

Hey- good job, Ang! I think you covered everything. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Lethaby Family said...

Hi Angie,
SO sorry I missed you on this trip, but as you saw...holidays got in the way! I've added more since your comment...
I wanted to see you and your kids and have a good talk. We'll have to look forward to a next time!! It sounds like Cyndi had you fully occupied...what an example to us!
Love Carol

Julie said...

Okay...first off...CRAVE??? Never heard of it but highly highly interested. Second, Lily's bikini was hilarious. So cute. Third, I can't believe how blonde Kate and Ian are. Fourth, it looks like you had so much fun. Its so fun when everyone gets together! As you know, its what keeps me going from day to day, knowing and looking forward to who I get to see next in my fam.

Jocelyn said...

What an awesome recap of your trip! I love the pictures of the kids eating those cupcakes. They look scrumptious! I also love the pics of Dylan in the bumper cars. He is funny! The serious roller coaster one was hilarious as well! OK, so I love all the pictures. What fun memories! Isn't it great when everyone can get together at the same time? Hopefully next time Phil can make it too. Same thing happens in my family a lot... everyone is there except for a husband or two. Great post, Angie! I'm glad you had such a fun trip!