You know, all the hassle I get about not updating my blog is a good thing. It means ya'll out there are actually looking at it!! That makes me happy - though I feel the need to excuse myself for a rather vanilla-mom-at-home life but you know - I LOVE IT!
We had an awesome trip in Calgary and yes, I feel like I need a vacation after my vacation. I love my kids but for me, it's not really much of a vacation if I'm taking them with me. I like to think of it as a business trip - I take my work on the road. Fortunately, my kids have awesome grandparents and aunties and uncles and I was able to enjoy a few shopping trips and evenings out while I was there.
Going home is such an interesting journey to make - and it becomes more so as I get older. Home always stays the same, but I notice things each time that I didn't before. The trees are bigger, the city is growing and I get lost when I'm there. But I still have that feeling of being in a place where I belong. I notice that relationships change too. It is fun to watch my siblings be parents and to see reflections of our childhoods in their parenting. We talk about different experiences "when we were kids" and I'm always intrigued at how it impressed them differently than it did me.
I love growing to be friends with my mom and dad...not just a daughter. In some ways, I wish that I'd known them like that as a kid - maybe I'd have understood them better. Or maybe not. I might have just taken advantage of them. But for their sternness I'll forever be thankful - it's because of them that I am at this point in my life and feeling good about it.
Home is no longer a place but for me it's a feeling. And I found at the end of my three week trip, I longed for home - here. I missed my house, my husband, my responsibilities, my car. I looked forward to working on projects and to that feeling of comfort in MY home. I feel that transition slowly creeping over me - that Calgary will always be a place that I lived but knowing now that my home is 2400 miles southeast.
More Calgary posts to follow....
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Awwwwwwww
It's nice to feel like you have a home, no matter where it is, right? i am still longing for that "I'm home" feeling. I think owning a house would help; our situation just feels so temporary lately. So eat it up! =)
Yay! Love to see your update...I've been checking it a few times a week. I love your comment about your vacation being a "business trip". That's good. By the way, did you see the Mantis bug in front of your house. My bro-in-law is driving it and it ran out of gas (it took him a while to pick it back up...)
Anyhow...glad your back!
Very thoughtful and insightful Ang. I have felt the same way...but with that said, there is still nothing better then being at my parents house where I know I'll always belong! I'm glad you're back "home" in N.C.
You're all growed up, Ang! :) I loved the pictures and updates - I check every day!
Post a Comment