Friday, April 27, 2007

Alice Angell 1910 - 2007


As many of you know, my grandmother Alice Angell Wright Ursenbach passed away on April 12th. I won't say it was unexpected, but I think I can speak for many of my siblings and cousins when I say that it seemed Grandma would live forever. She died peacefully, alone and in good care.

My brothers used to tease me that I was her favorite - and Grandma and I did have some kind of 'bond'. Perhaps it's because she let me rub her feet and she was always willing to play a board game with me when none of the other kids wanted to. We just sort of 'got' each other...except for when I was a teenager and decided to call her by her first name "Alice" instead of including "Grandma" first. She sternly replied, calling me "Fat Sal", which I can only assume was short for Fat Sally. I'd like to think I'm neither fat, nor is my name Sally so...like I said, we sort of got each other. She demanded respect and she taught me that respect must go both ways.

The kids and I took an early flight to Salt Lake the day following her passing, and journeyed to Idaho Falls the day after that. I was so honored to be asked to speak at her funeral and without a case of bronchitis, I think people would have actually been able to hear what I was saying! I paid tribute to Grandma's love of music and how she made it look so easy to follow the example of Jesus Christ. She was a genuine lady and I will truly miss her.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I'm so sorry about Alice. That's a very cute picture of her and I'm glad everything went well at her funeral!

Amy Glenn said...

Glad you and the kids could be at the funeral, Ang. Everyone had good things to say about your talk. I hear it was nice. Wish we could've been there to hear it.

Tom & Cyndi said...

Angie, I will add your comments to Alice's tribute that I am collecting. Please send me a text copy of your talk. Loves, d'mama