Friday, September 01, 2006

It's official - I'm white trash.

I've sort of prided myself on living in small-town "Race City USA" (a place with more mullets than should be legal) without becoming part of the sub-culture in this area. Please don't misunderstand me, I LOVE Southerners - you'll not meet a kinder, friendlier people, and I love living in the South. It's totally my speed. I'm just not a gun-owning, mullet wearing, Wal-Mart shopping kind of gal ya know? I never seem to have good experiences at Wal-Mart (some of you may recall when Phil slipped on the ice while carrying Marissa on the sidewalk in front of the store.)

I recently had an experience where I thought to myself, "To any outsider I definitely look like I'm part of the "white trash" stereotype.

My mom and I had motivated ourselves early last Friday morning to hit a class at the gym. It was a fun workout and we both had a good time. Instead of heading home to shower (which is what we should have done!) we decided to run a few errands. Cyndi was going to buy me a laminater and the one she wanted is sold at Wal-Mart, so off we went. Here I am - tank top, workout pants, sneakers, no makeup, hair in a pony tail - thinking that we'd be in and out. We shopped for a few things and were nearly finished when I notice Dylan needed a diaper change. I tell Cyndi that I need to change him and we head to the front of the store to the restrooms. We pause in the greeting card aisle to pick up a few cards. Admittedly at this point I'd forgotten that Dylan needed to be changed (you know how easy it is to get distracted in stores like Target and Wally World!).

Well my forgetfulness didn't last long as I glance down and see Dylan's diaper has leaked out of his pants and onto the cart. I grabbed the diaper bag and carried Dylan fireman-style to the restroom. I grab a plastic bag from an aisle as I pass and I'm so glad that I did...I definitely needed it. I lay him down on the change table and find that not only has he messed through his pants but also his shirt as it has worked it's way up his back. I strip him totally naked and use every wipe in my possession cleaning up the dirty diaper. I get him all cleaned up and realize that I have no extra outfit for him. All I have is his shoes...and a diaper...and I'm at Wal-Mart...feeling like total white trash.

So whatever, sometimes these things happen right? I head out with my half-naked baby to find my mom. She's still in the greeting cards and I pull some burp cloths out to clean off the cart and put something down for Dylan to sit on. I said, "Mom we need to go now." She says ok and glances at my chest (for those who know Cyndi, she's short enough that my chest is right about eye level for her.) She points out a smear of some kind on my shirt. I look down and it was...well let's just say I didn't get it ALL cleaned up.

Anyway, here are some lovely photos from that experience. Sorry if this story grossed you out. It just goes to show me that bad things happen when I shop at Wal-Mart.

Poor baby fell asleep on the ride home.

My sweet baby boy!


Lovely isn't it?

10 comments:

Tom & Cyndi said...

Angie, thanks for the updates from our visit. I laughed myself to tears on the Walmart episode - guess you had to be there! You beat me to the punch with these pictures. I'll post some of my own edits soon, I hope! It's on my weekend to-do list. Thanks for a wonderful vacation to your home!

XO, Goldie

shannon said...

That's hysterical! The same thing happened to me when Collin was about 4 months old and we had to leave Wal-Mart with him in just a diaper. So it's ghetto, but whatever.

Heather said...

HaHa, you have to love Walmart and you might as well just embrace all that it represents! It sounds like you did just that.

Julie said...

That is so hysterical Ang. You knew it was just a matter of time before you morphed into the "gun-owning, mullet wearing, Wal-Mart shopping kind of gal!" So now all you need to do is cut your hair and Mari's hair into a Mullet, buy a gun and you're 100% southern White Trash! J/K That totally sucks but is also totally funny!

Lindsay said...

That was so awesome! In a way that can only be looked at as awesome AFTER the fact. That's totally something that would happen to me!

Fernandez Family said...

Mom is right, its funny but apparently you had to be there. When she was recounting the story to me after she came home she was laughing so hard she couldn't breathe or get the story out right. Happened to me with Teo at a baptism at about 3 months old...devastating. the pick of you kissing Dylan is so adorable...i can't wait to love on your kids.

Jocelyn said...

This is a great post/story. Ha ha! Maybe not fun while it was happening, but makes for a good laugh now.

Heather Palmer said...

Okay, I LOVE that you posted a picture of a poop smear on your blog! Most excellent! I died laughing reading your story. I had a similar experience with Nixon also...but mine was at white trash Winco, not Walmart! Gotta love it.

Marilee said...

Gotta love the Walmart Stories. Just think, better that poop smeared all over you in Walmart instead of Nordstrom!!! At least at Walmart you fit in! At Nordstrom people would have been glaring and running the opposite direction! I ALWAYS have WT moments at Walmart! Did Julie ever tell ya the story of when Logan was 5 days old and I decided to leave him home with my mom so I could spend some time with Garett! G and I headed off to run errands and as we walked out of Walmart I had a nasty run in with some fat, ignorant woman who while Garett was having a tantrum because I wouldn't buy him some candy bar or something, commented on her cell phone, loud enough so I could hear her, that "that's why she didn't ever have children". Trust me, it didn't end well!! What can ya do? Keep shoppin' at Walmart, I guess!! :-)

Amy Glenn said...

Love the story, ang! I have plenty of those as well, as I'm sure most moms do. I think it makes the sweet times sweeter, eh? Love your blog!