Friday, August 07, 2009

a project, or two, or three...

today we went to michael's to buy some ribbon to hang a mirror i've been meaning to put in dylan's room for about 10 years. well not really that long...i've only been married nine. but you get my point.

anyway, the kids both wanted a project and we didn't have any other plans so they each picked something out and we headed home. they were anxious to get started and mostly, paint.

the mess:



the reward:


mari chose a bird house. i think it's cute and you can't tell from the pic, but her blue walls are pearly and pretty.


dylan picked a fighter jet. philip came home and helped him glue it all together. i only painted about 95% of it. funny how the novelty for a four-year-old wears off after 5 minutes. if i had a dollar today for the number of times dylan said, "i want to do it myself!!", all the stuff from michael's would have been FREE.


this was my project. i got the idea from my friend monique here. since mari will be eight next year, we're really feeling the need to prepare her for all that will be expected of her as she gets older. i thought monique's idea was perfect and i enjoyed making these and explaining fractions/decimals/percentages to mari. she was really excited about her pretty jars and i hope we can stay on top of making this a habit for her. we also discussed the types of behavior that are expected in order to get an allowance. it was fun. she's so GIRLY.

7 comments:

Krista said...

what FUN projects! yay for big fat messes :)

Lisa Danielson said...

how fun! ty's favorite store is the craft store and he always begs me to o there. he would love to paint an airplane-thanks for the idea!

erin said...

VERY fun projects. I love the jars! Send me directions (where to get the jars and stickers)-- For now, Kate's tithing sits in a rubbermaid snack cup-- not quite as fun!

Amy Glenn said...

You're so crafty, Ang! I really like the tithing jars. Yes, on what Erin said. Please send directions. It looks like a fun FHE project (and way cuter than the ziplock bags we're currently using).=)

Julie said...

Very cute projects! You're such a good mama. I probably would've told my kids no way cause I wouldn't want my house to get messy. I need to learn from you and let my hair down a bit more sometimes!

Proud Momma said...

I love that idea since I've been looking for ages for a piggy bank that's not totally ugly and useless!

The Frosts said...

Fun projects! I'm glad you like the jars. They have worked out perfectly for our family. My kids love to count up what they've saved and really think about and appreciate the things they've bought with their own money!