Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sunday Six - 1/4/09

1) 2008 was a pretty good year. It definitely had it's ups and downs for us. I finished the year feeling incredibly blessed. I learned some truths this year that I'd like to share with you:

Sensible shoes. I'm sure those of you out there with average sized feet have already found this truth for yourselves. Me on the other hand...I've always struggled with finding shoes in my size (11) that were fashionable, yet comfortable. Oh sure, Rack Room and Payless have been carrying my size for years, but have you ever actually SEEN the shoes they have for sale in those sizes? Ok, the fact that my size is located next to the men's department is no coincidence. In fact, I'm sure that those "women's" shoes are in fact made for men...or really manly women. Either that or they are confused with the functional-orthopedic-shoes-for-nurses department. Really it's horrible. And even if I were to find some shoes that were cute in my gigantic size, they're not going to be well made, and thus - not comfortable or sensible.

My pal Heather (aren't pals great?!) got me hooked on Privos!. I'm sure you have seen them, but if you haven't, I highly suggest you check them out. I've purchased 4 or 5 pairs since October, and I'm just a huge fan. Here are a few of the ones I own...


I never, never pay full price for them, but the Clark's at our mall always has some good deals...so I take advantage.

2) I'm learning it's ok to just be a mom. I've blogged about this before, how I feel like I have a purpose outside of being a mother to two great kids. How I have always kind of had this void inside, like there is something else I should be doing or working on or striving towards. I'm not talking about curing cancer here, it's just that you sort of have an idea of how your life is going to go, and sometimes you stop and take a look back and think, "Gee, this hasn't really gone the way I had planned it." But instantly in the same moment you are overwhelmed with gratitude for the way that your life has gone. In 2008 I think I really found joy in the simple things about my daily life - the early mornings at the bus, the sweet hugs and kisses, the family prayer around Marissa's bed and the satisfaction of seeing my little ones learning each day.

3) God is good. I know I already knew this but maybe this past year I learned to recognize it more. This one is kind of a hard one to put into words, but in the trials, the quiet moments and the big blessings my testimony has grown in this knowledge. One of the ways I know this for sure is that he invented KIDS. My kids in particular - it's like they were packaged up perfect just for me. They really only drive me a little bit nuts. And too, the primary kids I get to serve each Sunday. Callings can be like chores sometimes - you kinda don't want to do them, but when you accomplish those tasks, the feeling of accomplishment is worth the effort. Every time I'm in the primary room with all those kids (57+ in senior primary alone...) my heart almost feels too big for my chest. I just feel lucky to spend time with them.

4) It takes two to pay the bills. Literally. Again, I'm sure this is a truth you've all learned, but for Philip and I, it has taken us a long time to really get into a good routine/pattern when it comes to payin' the bills and puttin' our money to work for us. I've always been the bill payer, he's mostly been the money maker, and we've collectively been the money spenders. Pretty normal for most families I think. We've learned a few lessons the hard way, but I know that the bond between spouses is strengthened when they are both keeping their eyeballs on the checkbook. I felt overwhelmed with the stress of money myself for a lot of years, but I think we've proven how strong we are when we are united. Get on board, if you haven't already.

5) I'm prepar-ing and I'm not afraid. I know what the Lord means when he says that if we are prepared we shall not fear. It has been baby steps at this house, but already I have felt the security that comes with following what we've been asked to do to prepare our homes and finances. Don't get me wrong, we've got months and hours upon hours of work to do, but we are definitely moving forward and it feels great.

6) I'm not making any resolutions for 2009. Of course I'd like to lose weight, save more, work on my personal history/scrapbooking, learn to play the cello, etc... but those are things I need to be resolving to do whether it is January or not. I just want to focus on spending more time with my family, spending less time worrying, finding ways to serve as a family, and making new friends. If I can manage that, 20 pounds lighter, I think I'll be doing ok.

5 comments:

Krista said...

i'm a huge privo addict too :) i think i've owned 4 or 5 pairs now...

Heather said...

You couldn't have said it any better Ang! Thanks for all your great insights, you are amazing!

Julie said...

You rock! Those shoes are cute too! I'll need to check em out!

The Frosts said...

I also love Privos. If you're ever in AZ, I have a great discount resource for them. I have those white ones and wear them all the time. Esp. great for climates that don't get that cold. I love the rest of your realizations! And how I seem to learn the same lessons over and over!

Heather said...

I'm glad you have become such a fan of Privos and the clarks always has such good deals on them. They are so expensive in Nordstroms. I'm hoping to find a good pair of black ones this year.