Tuesday, November 04, 2008

today, i failed

i failed as a mother today. my kids woke up and decided they wanted to have halloween candy for breakfast. i obliged. they wanted to play video games, i said, "ok." later on, i put them in the car, telling them that we were going to the park and proceeded to drag them across town for two errands that had to get done for primary. i did in fact take them to the park, but they only got 20 mintues of play-time in before it started to rain. for dinner, neither of them wanted to eat the tortilla soup and corn bread i had made, so i forced them to swallow a few bites of soup and they had crackers and cheese for dinner instead. i took marissa to the Y for basketball practice and dylan screamed his head off when i dropped him off at the child watch. but i had to leave him there because i'm coaching marissa's team. marissa spent most of practice crying (which i knew she would do, but i'm determined to toughen her up...even just a little bit.) after bath time, instead of reading books to them, i left them in the capable hands of their father because i had to run to staples to get a new printer cartridge so that i could print some stuff for my first primary presidency meeting tomorrow morning. only, i forgot my dead cartridge, and ran back into the house, only to find my husband planted on the couch. he said he'd read to them already...which i thought was suspect since i'd been out of the house for a whole 2 minutes. when i read, i usually take a good 30 minutes - i think he was too tired after having driven to and from south carolina today for a test that ended up getting canceled anyway...due to rain. i should have read to them first and then run my errand. i just feel like i get a d minus today. *ugh* i hate feeling like a failure.

9 comments:

Dottie said...

Failure is something you are not! Your children have a home, food, a mommy who has enough interest in them to let them have fun (breakfast candy) once in a while, a mommy who reads 30 minutes a night, a mommy willing to coach a team, and a mommy who is working hard to fullfil her primary calling, not because of the blessings that will come, but because it's what the Lord wants and expects from her. Failure? I think not!

Amy Glenn said...

I can't tell you how many days I feel like that, Ang! I can totally relate. But I agree with "dottie"- you're definitely not a failure. We all have days like that. You know (and Heavenly Father knows) you're doing the best you can given your circumstances and what you've got on your plate.

I'm just now sitting down after having a very similar day. My house looks like it has exploded. Seriously. My laundry needs folded, dishes need washed, things need put away. But I have no more energy, and I know my baby is going to be awake again in a couple hours. So I'm going to leave it all just the way it is!

Tomorrow will be better (it couldn't get any worse than my day today). You're a wonderful mom, Ang. Love you.

erin said...

I think you have to leave Failure at the door when you make tortilla soup and corn bread. Way to coach Mari's basketball team...Dylan cried at the Y because he loves you so much (you did let him have candy for breakfast)...and maybe Phil will pass his speed-reading capabilities onto Dylan and Mari and then they can read themselves to sleep. =) Tomorrow will be brighter (even if it's raining). Loves, Erin

Unknown said...

Ang,

I just want you to know that I'd say about half of my childhood memories are of sitting in the car while mom ran errands and I turned out ok!! So don't sweat it. Your kids know you're trying hard and thats whats important. You're doing fine.

Love Jaje

shannon said...

you're rediculous! you are a fantastic mommy. take a gander at pres. uchdorf's talk from the relief society broadcast and he might make you feel a little better. at least you go dressed and hopefully showered!

Heather said...

You are an amazing mom! I bet they didn't mind eating candy for breakfast. We all have our 'failure' days and it just helps us to commit to be better the next day and the day after that and the day after that!

steph said...

ummmm i guess i'm a little late on the pick me up but i for sure HAE days like this and probably feel like that a few times a week. I always want to be so perfect and always fall so short. Thank goodness for the Savior and him stepping up to the plate for us and making up what we lack. Whether it's our 3% days or are 99% days we always need him and he is always there. The atonement is AWESOME, (hopefully I can get more 90's and less single digits though) :)

Shauna said...

Angie,
I know this is off the subject of your post, but I noticed you read the Nienie diaries. Amy and I went to high school with her. I didn't know her personally, but she was in Amy's grade. She was quite a neat person.

Julie said...

I so feel your pain. All mommies have days like that...I happen to have them often! You are one of the best mama's I know and i admire your dedication to your kids. Don't feel bad! LOVE YOU!