1) We are a house divided. Marissa is convinced that we should vote for John McCain because, "Barak Obama wants to be president of Texas." Dylan disagrees and thinks we should vote for, "Barak Abana." I think it is so interesting to see their reactions to the few political ads that they've seen (I promptly change the channel - I've already voted and after well over a year of political ads, I'm just DONE.) They know the ads aren't nice and will comment along the tone of each - "*gasp* Did you know that John McCain (this or that)?!" I'm glad that they are expressing great interest and hope to continue to educate them about the issues as they get older. Who knew I'd be explaining these things to my six-year-old.
2) Details... Today was my second official Sunday as Primary president. I'm not overwhelmed by the calling (yet) but have been made profoundly aware of all of the little details needed each Sunday. We have only been practicing the primary program the last two weeks, but I have found myself sometimes spinning in circles of forgetfulness, missing out on the little details. But that is what counselors and teachers and promptings are for. And I am thankful for each of those things.
3) I can feel the excitement. While the kids and I were huggin' and kissin' Philip, I told the kids to ask their dad how many races until we get to go to Disney world. (Everything in our lives seems to be gauged by how many more races...) He responded, "Two." The kids went wild. I can't wait. But, as previously mentioned in #2, there are many more details to work out! I still need to buy our park tickets...and will hopefully do that today.
4) Halloween was actually a real joy this year. I didn't overextend myself with crazy baking, assembling little packs of treats for the preschool class, and thankfully, Marissa didn't have to wear her costume to school (I was dreading the french braids at 6am.) We had a wonderful night out with our friends, the Bagozzi's, and the kids got more candy than they could carry (I suddenly became a Halloween pack mule) and we all fell into bed having enjoyed a relatively spook-free holiday. I am looking towards TG and Christmas with great anticipation.
5) Thankfully election day is a day off for both of my kids. When I asked them what they wanted to do, they both replied, "play Lego Star Wars!" *UGH* I'm so bugged with the video games. To their credit, I have majorly restricted the playing of said video games. I just can't handle the fighting that has ensued (it brings horrible flashbacks of Nintendo fights in our house back in '88). They went a whole week without it last week, after Marissa wouldn't stop killing Dylan's character, because he wouldn't follow her in the tunnel she wanted to go in. What the crap?! Anyway, in addition to the games being removed, Mari had to make Dylan's bed for 5 days. She hated that. It will soon be a once-a-week treat/reward IF the kids can keep their behavior in check and the things that need doing around the house, get done. MY idea for a day off will include either a bike ride, or a haul up to Grandfather Mountain for a hike. You don't take a 65 degree fall day and throw it away playing video games. My kids might have to learn that lesson the hard way. This mom has no qualms about throwing the video games in the trash (ie. selling them on eBay.)
6) Lots to do this week: laundry, school, basketball practice, ballet, Disney, cub scouts, Primary, meals, meetings, basketball game, Relief Society lunch, dr. apts., child watching, and thankfully, a massage on Friday morning! Oh, and a heads up to my brother JJ and his wife Amanda, Uncle Phil will be in Phoenix this weekend. I'm SO jealous - you have no idea. I'm dying to see Lilly again and meet baby Lola. I could just cry with jealousy.... so enjoy his visit and make him take you out for dinner.
Sunday, November 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I like your "Sunday Six," Ang. It's fun to get your updates. We are definitely a house divided in the political venue. Thomas and I usually cancel each other's votes out (I'm red, he's blue) except on moral issues.
This year's election season is just crazy here in SF and California! I won't even go into it. Audrey & Bronwyn have been asking lots of questions and coming home from school with lots of opinions and so-and-so-saids. Very interesting.
I think it's great that Marissa & Dylan have been aware of what's going on and are asking questions. They're definitely not too young!
Good luck with all the stuff you have going on, Ang. It looks like you're really busy!
Just thoguth I'd let you know that i think you are doing a GREAT job as priamry president. You come off as an old pro, especially coming in right smack in the middle of program chaos.
Oh Angie. Your blog never ceases to amuse and inspire me. We are hearing a lot about the elections north of the border as well. I love how Canadians totally get into the US politics. Unfortunately not many americans get into our politics...nor do we in fact. So boring. We just had an election, betcha didn't know that. It would be much more exciting if Tina Fey and Colin Farrell had impersonations for our candidates!
Love the Sunday Six!
you're making me exhausted. stop already. =) loves!
Post a Comment