1) Dylan's new phrase, "What the HECK!" Makes me wonder.... He sees his name as I type this and says, "Dylan....loves Mario Karts Wii. Hey, that's how you spell Mario Karts Wii!" Um, does my 3-year-old read? And when I asked if he'll miss me when I go to NYC, he says, "I won't have a mommy." And I said, "I'll be back silly. Would you be sad if you didn't have a mommy?" To which he replied, "Yes. Who would turn on the Wii for me?" Geez...it's not like he's playing it all day long. I swear this kid....
2) As many of you, I enjoyed a relaxing and inspiring General Conference. I always love the Saturday sessions best - lots of good gems in there. I loved Uchtdorf's talk about hope. We hope for things and we hope in things; how faith is the basis for hope and inspires us toward charity. Henry B. Eyring is one of my favorites and I so enjoyed his comments on unity.
I loved how vivacious our prophet Thomas S. Monson appeared to be, after seemingly burdened with his new call after the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley (i miss him, don't you?!) I always feel such a let down when conference is over, kind of like December 26th. I have much to do and much to improve between now and conference again in the spring.
3) The dress. Yes, the dress for the opera. I bought one this weekend. It's not too fancy. It's comfortable, very girly, and I can't wait! The opera you ask? Yes, my amazing brother Thomas will be performing at the Met in NYC (I know!! Crazy huh?!!) I wouldn't miss it for the world so my friend Heather and I are off in less than a week! I can't wait. And while we're there we have tickets to see Conan O'brien, who I've been strangely attracted to since college. I know, gross, but he's just so funny! Many other things planned...stay tuned.
4) Just before dawn is such an interesting time of the day. Everything is so quiet (except on Monday mornings when the trash guys come.) I've been trying to set my alarm a bit early, to get some reading and study time in before the kids are up. When Mari is ready to go, she runs next door to chat it up with the neighbors before the bus picks up. I stand at the end of our driveway to watch her get on the bus. I feel strangely left out of her conversation but love listening to her bubble over with excitement for the day. It's right as the evening dark begins to fall away, and the shadowed trees become more visible as light in the sky slowly creeps from the east. As I return inside, Mr. D is still sleeping and tiptoe through the house.
It's so much better than an hour-long commute.
5) Ok, so the debate on Thursday nite.... Yes, it was disappointing that there was no Grey's Anatomy, but I have to say that the debate held my attention (most of the time) and I was intrigued at the dynamic between the two vice-presidential candidates. Opposite of the presidential debate, these two engaged each other, looked at each other, and spoke directly to one another and responded to each other's comments. I was so irritated by Senator McCain's unwillingness to address Obama directly in the first debate, hardly making eye contact, and was WOWED by Governor Palin's brashness and courage to respond with confidence. This election has so many interesting dynamics, it will be so interesting to see who comes out on top. I sure do hope you're all going to vote. You must vote!
6) Oh the comfort.... food. My house is oozing with it. General Conference weekend makes me a little homesick and this time around, my remedy was to bake bake bake bake bake bake. I made so many yummy things and enjoyed little bits of everything this weekend. Thank goodness for packing school lunches and being able to share that goodness with others.
Sunday, October 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
YOur post was so pleasant and fun to read. I too was filled with so much after this conference. I love the feeling of being so uplifted afterwards.
Boy did we eat all the yummy comfort food during conference at Aunt Lynns. Munch, eat, snack, snack some more and then just SIT!
Have fun at Conon in N. York. JJ and I love him, too! NO attraction at all, but he is just so dang funny. I can't remember the last time I stayed up that late to watch him and it just seems so odd to Tivo him and watch him in the morning. It is too much of a late show to watch any other time. OHhh and I can't wait to see what you wear to the MET. Jj is so sad he can't make it, but seriously he would be more sad if he missed our new little girl coming into the world ( the next day). Have fun in N.YORK! Love ya
So what did you bake?? =) Thanks for sharing. Sounds like the 3 of you are adjusting well to your new schedule! We enjoyed Conference too, but I'm afraid I didn't quite provide as far as baking/snacking go! I need some new recipes!
Will you be at the Opera with your mom, Dad, and Amy? You'll have to tell ALL! Have a good week.
so jealous of 3 things...
1. your girls trip to NYC
2. CONAN!
3. yummy baked treats
i tried to stay out of the kitchen most of the weekend, but we did have a yummy breakfast of creme brulee baked french toast. no egg bake, no conference muffins. that would have done me in (considering my maternity clothes are getting too tight...how can that be, you ask!)
love the comfort foods! I also love the pre-dawn hours. There is something so peaceful about it. I am so happy that Marissa is happy with her new school
Oh yes, yummy treats on Conference weekend. We started a tradition quite a while ago to have homemade cinnamon rolls on Saturday morning as well as leftovers on Sunday morning. Sure doesn't help me losing weight but oh they were sure tasty.
Your Sunday 6 might be one of my new favorite things! I'm so jealous about NYC! Have fun at Conan. Give him a kiss for me and let me know what night you're going so I can be sure to watch, well at least Tivo it. General Conference was really good. I sat through Pres. Monson's Sunday morning talk BAWLING!!! It was a good reminder of just how fast time goes and what is truly important. As for Dylan...hahahaha! What a cutie. I love that the only thing he's concerned about is you not being around to turn on the Wii. Aaaaahhhh, the innocence of wee ones. Gotta love it!
Have fun in NYC!! How exciting for you guys...is your whole family going? I LOVE Conan...Sean and I have always wanted to see him.
Thanks for the blog technical advice. Have a rip roaring time at the Met.
Have a wonderful time in NYC and take pictures of yourself in the dress. What a treat! I'm loving your Sunday posts. Did you know that your RSS feed is not updating on bloglines/google reader? I know there's a way to fix it but don't know how. Anyway... I'm totally over politics this year. I'm tired of this election and quite frankly will be glad when it's all over in a few weeks. But I WILL be voting!
thanks!!! -from a happy recipient of your baking extravaganza!
Angie, I hope that it's ok- I stumbled across your blog about a year ago on facebook and looked at it a few times. Today, as I was updating my own blog, I was just reminded that it was yours that inspired me to do one of my own - to keep in touch with all of the family and friends that we are so far away from . . . I searched around and found your address again. I'm so impressed at your ability to write and convey your thoughts. . . I hope that you don't mind me taking a peek every now and then. And, how great about Tommy(the only name I knew him by!!) Amazing. . . I hope that you are doing well, it's so great to be able to have a glimpse into your life.
-Hilary (Chipman) Thurber.
Post a Comment