during the homework session tonight:
me: "ok, your next word is echolocation. what???? i don't even know why your teacher is giving you this word! i don't even know what echolocation means!"
mari: "it's how bats communicate and make sure that they don't run into stuff in the dark."
me: "oh ok. so spell it."
mari: "e-e-echoooo-location. e-e-echoooo-location. (she rapped.)"
mom gets a D in spelling tonight. talk about feeling like a doofus. i'm glad she's getting a quality education, but since when are first graders getting 12-letter spelling words? maybe that's normal - this is my first go-round.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
That is crazy! Ok if you ask me not a normal spelling word for a 1st grader. I think it is one thing to know what it is another to spell it. FYI, Tyler is doing a unit on bats right now and I just asked him and he totally knows what it is, but he doesn't have to know how to spell it. (2nd grade)
That's funny. Just wait, it gets worse. It's awful when you kid comes home and needs help with high school algebra and you can't remember any of it. That's when I call Renee Parkman for help.
huh! i think i was still on words like 'cat' and 'ball' in first grade.
Some of Kate's words for the week are "clam" "clap" and "flip." I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even have known how to pronounce Mari's at first glance! Fun that she is learning/thriving. It amazes me what Kate can "digest" at this early age ... and most of it has stuck so far; that's the really amazing thing.
yep...not normal for 1st grade spelling. That is CRAZY!!!!! Jackson in 3rd grade doesn't even get words like that!!!!!
Ummm, yeah I'm with Julie. That's totally not a 1st grade spellling word. Duh!
Post a Comment