Monday, October 27, 2008

numbers


20

70

200

485

39


these were my numbers for the day today.

20/20
is what those who have perfect vision enjoy.
20/200
is what my sweet girl M can see with each eye.
20/70 is her combined vision in each eye.

yes, my sweet girl M will be wearing her first pair of eye glasses in about a week.

$485 is what those teeny, tiny little eye glasses would have cost us without insurance.
$39 (you guessed it) is all we are out of pocket thanks to our insurance. my husband has been instructed that no matter how much he may grow to hate his job (which thankfully, he doesn't) he has to keep it...the insurance is just too good.

i'm thankful for a perceptive teacher and school nurse who helped us to see that M wasn't seeing the numbers at all. i'll post an updated photo of her soon.

7 comments:

Dottie said...

Busy day, I thought you had a field trip and a trip to the eye doctor! WOW!

Alicia said...

You're lucky you have good insurance. You don't know how good until it's not there. Gordon needs glasses too, but he's not covered until Jan. I get little reminders from his teacher from time to time. I think she believes I'm a bad parent. She doesn't have kids and has no idea how much those itty bitty glasses cost. Sometimes you just can't give your kid everything they need right away. I'm sure M will be super cute in her glasses. Did she pick pink ones?

Julie said...

how cute is she gonna be?!?!? But are you serious that it was gonna cost $485? When Jack got his glasses I took him to Costco ($60) and his glasses were ($90) Thank goodness for your insurance though cause $39 is way better then $485 and its even better then $150!

erin said...

Gotta love good insurance-- she must be getting some sweet glasses for that price!! Can't wait to see her in them. I agree that you're lucky her teacher/nurse noticed-- I was pretty blind for years before I/anyone else noticed!

Heather said...

Too cute and what a world it will open up for her. The poor thing, thank heavens for those perceptive teachers!

Amy Glenn said...

That's great that you're catching it early. I complained to my mom for a good 3 years or so before she finally caved and took me in to get checked. She thought I just wanted glasses to be "cool" like my friends (who thinks glasses are "cool" anyway?). I was totally blind, squinting, and sitting in the front row of every class for grades 4-6.

I can't wait to see Mari in glasses. She'll be so cute!

shannon said...

oh, i can't wait to see them. i think i started wearing glasses in the 4th or 5th grade, but should have started earlier. what a difference it will make! is she getting saucy purple ones???