Wednesday, September 03, 2008

peace of (my) mind

well the meeting with mari's teacher didn't happen today...at least not in person. due to the debacle that is the traffic situation at the school, all of the parking lots were closed off. i suspect it is because the parents were just sick and tired of waiting an hour to pick their kids up that they were parking, walking in, and gettin' the heck out of there! i had a legitimate excuse to park today, but decided to just roll along in line, gathering my little chick and called Mrs. Sharpie later, while i was making dinner.

she said, "first let me explain why i did what i did, and then i'll get to my apology." she honestly said she didn't think a thing about it. in her class, the students take turns passing out backpacks and lunch bags to their fellow classmates. if the bags weren't clearly marked (clearly enough...) on the first day, she set them aside and went to town with her sharpie.

i re-explained the reasons for my upset, including the fact that i think it's unsafe to have your child's name written on their bag. our kids use their backpacks when we travel, etc. hasn't she ever seen that sesame street - never wear a shirt with your name on it!

Mrs. Sharpie even said, "marissa tried to stop me saying, "my bag has my initials on it!" but i just didn't think the other students would be able to tell well enough who's bag it was."

***eye roll***

does every kid in her class have the exact same pink backpack with a butterfly and MRJ embroidered on it? Mrs. Sharpie did apologize several times, and offered to let marissa pick a new bag through an educational catalog so she could replace it as an educational expense. i don't feel like that is necessary. i don't want to have any feelings of animosity towards her, and certainly didn't want marissa to feel uncomfortable in her new class. but i emphasized to Mrs. Sharpie that i'm the kind of person who needs to address issues when they arise. i say let's clear the air and move on.

i'll be moving on tomorrow at 6 am.

now is the hunt for a cute patch to cover up the sharpie and i will make my own name tag for marissa's bag. any one have any cutie sites they can recommend for patches?



coming soon to "angie talk" ... topics that really matter, i promise.

ps. i bought the kenmore vac. i did look at the dysons and even a few of the canister models, but eventually decided to go with the #1 consumer reports pick. i test drove it in my bedroom and i'm muy impressed. i love smart electronics.

pss. take and bake cookies my friends, the only way to go for early dawn cookie making :)

7 comments:

erin said...

Mrs. Sharpie needs to give her 1st graders more credit. Doesn't she know that kids totally pay attention to things like clothes and backpacks and hairdos and who likes what and who eats what... Heaven for bid, Mari has to say, "That's mine, the one with the butterfly on it" a few times before they learn who goes with what. A cute patch is a good idea though. And I distinctly remember that Sesame Street.

Heather said...

You are crackin me up! Mrs. Sharpie needs to listen to her student next time. I bet she never does that again without checking with the parent first. Are first graders unable to pick up their own backpack, it seems to me that alot of time would be wasted by having the kids hand out backpacks one by one! Oh well, to each his own. Unfortunately I don't know of any sites with cute patches!

Steph said...

Hi Ang!
I'm just catching up with your blog and WOAH I would have been mad too! Seriously she broke several rules. I have also heard many times about not having your kids' names on their backpacks, plus I think instead of marking up the backpack should have sent a note home asking parents to add the name so it could be done WELL.
Rude rude rude.
I'm glad you talked to her about it though, sounds like you went the right route to clearing things up.
And the traffic??!?? CRAZY!
Glad to see you guys are doing great!
Steph
(KBYU, Provo...;))

Amy Glenn said...

Wow, Ang. I can't believe that ordeal. I would've been upset, too. We did the monogram thing with the girls awhile back with the same intention. You'd think the teacher would know better having taught 35 years! Weird.

And your traffic? Man! I had been thinking about you and wondering how that was going. Dang. You'd think you were driving in the bay area or something. JK. But seriously it's not even that bad here (unless you're driving in rush hour traffic). Hope it gets better!

The Frosts said...

Ooohhhh.. I'd be TICKED. I'm into that OCD thing too. And my kids do have laminated nametags on their bags (and their names Sharpied on the inside, thank you very much!) You are nice to be so understanding.

I just commented on your vac post. I have that same vac and love it (read details there).

What is your school doing to fix the traffic problem?

and did i understand you correctly that you did 125 minutes of cardio? Really? Holy crap!

shannon said...

phew, now that i am totally caught up, can i just say that I LOVE that you are my friend? your stories are pure angie and it makes me totally miss being around you. I really love my dyson, but i'm glad you got yourself a new vacuum! and as for mrs. sharpie, i am muy impressed at your conversation. you rock!

Jocelyn said...

So do you still have to put her name on it? If so, maybe a patch of her name would be cute? Otherwise I'd look at a craft store for something good without her name. I really do think it's a little ridiculous that the teacher thinks the kids need names on the bags or they won't know who they belong to... kids KNOW! I substituted almost every grade last year and every time something was left behind I could ask ANY kid who it belonged to and they ALL would know. They might need names on the bags for the first week, but after that it's unnecessary.

And now I'd like to go make some cookies myself... yummy!