Tuesday, August 26, 2008

can't get into it

i know that many of you have read the twilight series books by stephenie meyer. they're easy to read and even a bit entertaining but i can't really call myself a fan. i finished "breaking dawn" a week or so ago, and with the three books prior, felt like it had been wasted time. by contrast, i find the harry potter books (comparable target age group, and the authors are often compared to each other) to be much more entertaining. i wonder what that says about my personality?!

anyway, so i've picked up stephenie meyer's "the host" to read this week and i just cannot seem to get into it! it seems to be dragging on page after page. in fact, i'm not sure how many pages i've actually read since i get through about two paragraphs and i'm asleep...zzzzzzz

should i keep reading on? or put it down for something more....significant?

ps. any book recommendations are more than welcome with your comments. i know i can count on you...monique, erin, etc...

ps2. yes, i have read "secret life of bees" - loved it. and you miller girls are a crack up - i did take julie's advice, bought "follow the river" and loved it. i already have "i mona lisa" - totally forgot i had it and might give that a try next.

13 comments:

Shauna said...

I never really got into The Host either. In fact, I still haven't finished it and I started it in May...Not much desire there. Have you read The Secret Life of Bees? It was a pretty good book.

Julie said...

I know several people who had a hard time getting into the host. In fact, most people at my Bunco group who had read it, which was about 4, said that it took them until chapter 3 or 4 to really start enjoying it. I also heard the Secret Life of Bees is good and I'm telling ya...you need to read Follow the River!!!!!! Sorry you didn't love the Twilight Series. I'm re-reading and enjoying it more then the first time!

Heather said...

The Host was hard to get into, but I did find it interesting and I thought it was good - even though I am not a huge sci-fi fan. The Secret Life of Bees is totally a cute quick read. My other favorite book is called 'I Mona Lisa' I loved it, but can't remember who it is by, it is an historical fiction type of book. 'Follow the River' you totally have to read this one! It is based on a true story of a woman who is kidnapped by Indians in frontier days. Julie, Mar and I all loved it, my dad even loved it! That is all I can think of I hope it helps.

Heather said...

I am totally laughing because I hit Post on my comment and Julie's popped up at the same time and we almost said the same thing! Can you tell we are sister's?

Heather said...

I am totally laughing because I hit Post on my comment and Julie's popped up at the same time and we almost said the same thing! Can you tell we are sister's?

Fernandez Family said...

We must be sisters. I'm so struggling to get through Breaking Dawn...or as I call it "Breaking Yawn". Oh, I'm sure I've lost a few friends over that one.

I haven't read any good books lately, and its making me not want to read anything. I have the book The Road by Cormack McCarthy which I hear is really good (but haven't started it yet). Other books on my shelf waiting for me to read are Memory Keepers Daughter and Saving Fish from Drowning.

Whatever you do, don't read Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. Unfortunately I actually bought this book and two chapters in...pitched it in the trash. I'll read anything...except that!

The Frosts said...

Ah man, sorry you struck out. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give the Twilight series a 6. I was entertained by them but not WOWED -nothing at ALL like HP. I read them mostly to be in the "know" about them. I really did like the Host though - better than the Twilight books.

Ok, the best book I've read in AGES is These is My Words by Nancy Turner. There's 3 books in the series so far. I'm also loving stuff from Sandra Dallas. Another really great one is Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. Oh and I just read Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is really good too.

Hmmm... I could go on but I won't! Have fun!

Monica said...

I think I read one book Shannon said it was so good but I didn't like it at all. Not my kind of reading. I have enjoyed Anita Stansfield books but the most recent one I read is called Replay by some author I can't remember his first name but his last is Grimwood. I really liked it, but I must warn you that there is some dirty parts that you may want to skip but over all very good book.

Jocelyn said...

I'm also wanting some good book recommendations... so I'll just read the comments you get. Are you a member of goodreads? I am and I browse through what people on my friends list are recommending. You can see how many stars someone gives to a book and they can make comments about it too. I like that site (goodreads.com).

shannon said...

a book i am picking up tomorrow at the recommendation of a friend is "The Six Wives of Henry VII" by Alison Weir. i LOVE to read biographies, and a few of my favorites have been about Princess Diana (Ever After is the title) and JFK. Sometimes a biography can mix it up a bit! i also just finished a book called "Belong to Me" by Marisa De Santos (or something like that)...it was a good read too!

shannon said...

oh, also..."friday night knitting club" was good, as well as "eat, pray, love."

Mands Glenn said...

I just started the books and not sure. I will let you know. I'm a bit blah at times and find myself falling asleep quickly, but gonna keep trucking along.

I just read, "Escaped" by Carolyn Jessop a couple months ago. I actually liked it, but a bit disturbing. I like disturbing though!

timberly skye said...

i'm with you on harry potter!! although i enjoyed the twilight series...it was no contest in comparison! i suppose it says we are.. what...magical?....ooor.... immature? ;)

anyways....i recommend "the red tent" by anita diamant...it's historical fiction based on genesis chapter 34 told by leah's daughter...dinah. you may have already read it cause it's about 10years old....but if not....good stuff!