Wednesday, February 20, 2008

change

It's Barack Obama's catch-word these days and it's a word that used to terrify me. But the older I get (my 20s are soon ancient history...so older may not be the right word) the more I think that change is good. I get tired of the same old hairdo, the same old shows on TV, the same old cruddy Old Navy flip flops year after year.

With the start of the 2008 race season, it certainly feels like nothing has changed. Phil is still extremely busy, and I feel the Thursday "depression" and his departure to the race track looming around every Wednesday night. The kids are older, more independent. I feel like the changes we've made in our new home suit our family and my personality very well. I'm feeling comfortable in my skin for one of the first times in my life.

Sometimes change only need be small - a change of attitude toward my calling at church or my calling as a mom. Change in the pattern of our day or how we do things can make a huge difference. For example: I changed my pattern of going to the gym these last couple of weeks and boy am I seeing changes! More pudge is never a good thing...that's a fact.

Sometimes the small changes can be so hard to make. I committed this year to change the way I allow people to make me feel about myself. I decided to change the way I see the early morning drive to school - looking more for a beautiful sunrise than at the clock, to see how much longer until I could fall back in bed. I'm determined to take better care of myself - even if it means depending on others for their help to make it happen. I have found joy in making new friends and being with others who might share a lonely night of the week.

Change changes our perspectives and each time, we can look at our lives in a new way; grateful that we made the changes or painfully wishing we hadn't changed things so much.

Hopefully at this time next year, I will be able to reflect with this same heart full of gratitude.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Very deep thoughts Ang. Especially for the silly mood you were in when we chatted. hehehehe! Love you girl. Love the new look!

shannon said...

i second julie, love your new blog look...very you! and your post was so insightful...it makes me wish i lived closer to you to lend a helping hand and hang out during those lonely nites. love you!

Jeff said...

Angie,
I like what you wrote about change. Change can be sometimes a hard thing to go through. Some of those things you mentioned about tv shows, hair styles, the way kids grow up before our eyes day in and day out I can totally identify with you. All these things make life a wonderful place to be. Monica

Jocelyn said...

That made me think Ang. I like everything you said. Change is a good thing, usually. I get sick of the same old stuff too sometimes... but I'm glad for some things that stay the same. I think changes are a healthy part of life... especially things you mentioned like a change in attitude. Anyway, I really liked what you had to say! And I really love your new blog design... very nice! I love these colors together!

Amy Glenn said...

Change is definitely a good thing. I think it's human nature to resist it initially, but without it we'd never learn and grow. I love the feeling of being stretched- okay maybe not when it's painful -but when the pain wear off, we're definitely more fulfilled; we're deeper, stronger people for it. Bring on the struggles and change!