Monday, August 06, 2007

Sweet Talker

I don't mean to brag...well actually, yes I do. Mari gave her first talk in Primary on Sunday.

I remember as a child my parents' efforts in trying to get me well prepared for my own first talk. I was SO nervous. They took me up to the chapel and let me practice standing at the pulpit. Of course, as stubborn as I am, I refused. My mom, having lost most, if not all of her patience said, "Fine, I'll give the talk for you." Of course I wouldn't let that happen! So I got up and eventually gave the talk myself.

In that same attitude of early preparation, I began working with Marissa on the talk early in the week. She actually tried to hand write the whole thing herself on lined paper. It was cute - though she got frustrated quickly (and understandably so!). I decided that adding pictures (like a rhebus sp? poem) would be helpful for her, even though I hoped she would memorize the talk. We practiced every night before bed.

She did a smashing job if I do say so. I was so proud of her! She was so confident and didn't seem nervous at all. Hopefully that confidence will stay as she starts school and progresses in her classes at church. I'm so proud of you Marissa!!

If any of you have kids needing to give a talk, I included a picture of Mari's talk. I'll happily send you the word doc if you want it! Though, the preparation is the fun part of the talk if you ask me!

5 comments:

Amy Glenn said...

Cute talk, Ang. Thomas always drew pictures for the girls' talks before they could read. It really helped. My parents did the same for me, too.

That's great that she was so confident in her delivery. Way to go, Mari!

Lisa Danielson said...

SOO cute! I bet she did such a good job! She is such a character! I would love a copy of her talk!

Jocelyn said...

That is a great talk. It was the same thing they did this past Sunday in Primary for Sharing Time... the hand and 5 parts of a testimony... but this talk is even better than what I heard. I love how it's written out with pictures for Mari. I'm sure she did an awesome job! I remember practicing talks when I was little for my parents and all their help. How fun that Mari will have this to remember her first talk.

erin said...

What a great idea! Where did you come up with the topic/text? There are so few kids in Kate's primary that Kate gives a talk every couple of weeks. She's still working on remembering to breathe when she's up there! Way to go Mari!! =)

mamanicky said...

She was the bomb!!! I was so impressed with her talk, I meant to tell you that after class. You should definately be bragging!