Sunday, July 01, 2007

29 on the 29th

I'm officially 'almost 30'. Wow it has gone so fast! I had a very nice birthday. Sometimes it's the quiet ones that are the best ones. Last year it was a quiet afternoon with my kids and my husband before he jetted off to a race. This year was a quiet day at home in Calgary. I was still adjusting to the time change and got to sleep in a little bit. Tanya dropped Mateo off and I watched him in the morning. We got up and went to see the new Pixar movie "Ratatouille". I thought it was quite good, though Dylan thought he was at he park and continued to use his "outside voice" and climb on the chairs in front of him. Thanks Grandpa Tom for taking him out for a walk during the show.

We were going to head out for dinner, but the lines were long and the kids were spent. We went home and threw some dinner together. I settled in to enjoy a delicious cherry shortcake dessert. The kids thought the candles were a blast so we kept lighting them and let everyone have a turn blowing them out. Teo had a particular interest in the whipped cream and I think each piece had one of his little finger dents in it.

I received some wonderful gifts: jewelry, books, a trip home...but probably the most memorable gift came in an envelope from mom and dad. Let me just back up...the previous morning I was reading in the Calgary Herald about events and concerts in the area the week of my birthday and into next week. One small blurb mentioned Tony Bennett was going to be here in concert. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE TONY BENNETT. Anyway, the wheels started turning and I thought, I'd love to go see him. Then I saw how much the tickets were and decided, maybe not that bad.

Flash forward to birthday night...On the envelope in my mom's handwriting read: "This gift is for you and two friends. If you need help deciding which ones, Tanya and I can be of some assistance." I laughed thinking it might be a spa gift certificate or pedicure date for the girls. Well imagine my sheer joy to open the envelope and see three tickets to see Tony Bennett!! I feel almost like one of my dreams has come true. I can definitely check "See Tony Bennett in Concert" off of my before-i-die list. THANKS MOM AND DAD!! I knew I brought my red dress for a reason :)

8 comments:

Julie said...

That picture of you after you learned about Tony is AWESOME! They couldn't have captured a more authentic expression. That is great! Have fun. Say hi to Tony for me.

Dottie said...

I love the pictures! You will have SO much fun at the concert. Take pictures of each other in the bathroom at the concert! :-) Happy Birthday! I totally spaced, and haven't looked at a calendar in a while. I'd just have to count down the days until you arrive, way to painful that way! (Aren't I such a stinker?) Keep blogging!

Jocelyn said...

Happy Birthday, Angie! A couple days late, but I did think about you on Friday. I loved your pictures... especially the surprised one when you found out about the Tony concert! How fun!! Your mom is so awesome!

Amy Glenn said...

Awesome! Sounds like so much fun. You'll have to tell us all about it. Happy Birthday, Ang!

shannon said...

OMG, i am so jealous. i too share in your love for Tony Bennett, and i am so glad you get to go see him. blow him a kiss for me, will ya?

Cam said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! It's only 2 days late, right? We tried calling you late on "the day" but got your voice mail- Have you heard of the term "Golden Birthday"- when you turn the age of the date your bday is on. Like 29 on the 29th? Cam hadn't heard of it and I just realized it was MY golden bday this year and I didn't even make the connection. Aren't we supposed to get something really great on that bday? =)It looks like you had a happy day/night! Love the pics-- SEE YOU SOON!

The Frosts said...

Happy birthday Ang. Hope you had a great day. Your pictures are so great, especially the concert tix one. Have a great time at the concert. What an awesome experience!

mamanicky said...

Happy belated B-Day! Sounds like it was a good one, have fun at the concert. You should post your life list, that'd be fun to read. :)