Monday, April 30, 2007

I shot the sherriff, but got rear-ended by the deputee

Yes, that's right. I'm driving along today, minding my own business, on the way to the chiropractor no less...and BAM!! A sherriff's deputy who wasn't paying attention slammed into the back of my car.

May I first say thank you to those smart little Japanese auto manufacturers for making such a nice little car. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE my car. Phil has been trying to get me to buy a new one for over a year now, but I just love my little Minima. Believe it or not, my car looks WAY better than the police cruiser - which was fitted with one of those nice black grills for pushing high speed chasers into the grass. His entire front grill and lights were gone, the black grill shoved up into the hood. If you look closely you can actually see the vertical black marks it left behind.

So basically I had just gone through an intersection that the light has just turned green in. Ahead of me in traffic someone was making a turn so the traffic had slowed somewhat. The officer had been looking at a map and thrown it back up on his dash. It fell onto the floor of the passenger side and he looked down and when he looked back up, he had no time to stop. Didn't even touch the brakes. He was most likely going about 40-45 mph.

I pulled into the median and shouted to myself, "I just got rear ended by a freakin' cop!" I'm not sure if it was the jarring blow to Dylan's side of the car or my vented frustration but the poor little guy was just shaking and cying.

Thankfully, all is well with us physically. I'm a little sore but I had just left the gym for the first time in about a month when we were hit. I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow. Now the paperwork, rental car and repairs begin. But we're safe and if you ask me, if you're going to get rear ended, it's nice that it's a cop. There were at least 4 other officers there, a State Trooper, two firemen and an EMT on the scene within about two minutes.

11 comments:

Dottie said...

I love your title! But let me tell you if I run that song through my head once more, I am going to damage a different part of the car! So glad you and Dilly are okay. I'll check in with you tomorrow!

Dottie said...

Forgot to ask, should I contact the Home Teacher for a blessing? So I get a hold of your Visiting Teachers to bring you meals? :-)

Heather said...

Angie, you poor thing. I guess you got the best care. That cop probably feels like the biggest dork ever! Getting rear ended freaks me out. Julie and I had that happen once and at Thanksgiving Steve and I were side swiped on our was the Arizona. It is freaky and totally rattles me. I'm glad you are ok!

Amy Glenn said...

I'm so sorry, Ang. Not my idea of fun. At least it wasn't the other way around- you hitting him. That's really no fun. Hope Dylan has recovered.

Fernandez Family said...

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or feel really sorry for you...so I did both. Funny story to tell after i found out that you and fam are okay. So...a Tahoe?

shannon said...

i am with nan...i didn't know whether to laugh or feel bad for you. but like you said, if you are gonna get hit, at least it was by a cop. i hope you both are doing well.

Thomas Glenn said...

At least people showed up to your accident... I'm glad you're okay angie.

Lindsay said...

That is so crazy! Stupid cop! I would have been so mad, but I'm sure he felt like an idiot and that would make me feel all better.

Jocelyn said...

I came to check your blog and was reading about the heat and croquet when I got to "I'm not feeling so hot 24+ hours after the crash" and I had to skip down to your previous post (I guess I didn't check blogs yesterday). That sucks! I'm sorry to hear it but at least you are all ok. Poor Dylan, I'm sure it all scared him. At least it was a cop though, because Ben got rear-ended last month by an illegal alien and it was a hassle. I'm glad you're ok and hopefully you won't be sore for long.

Amy Glenn said...

Oh yeah, in San Francisco neither medics nor police show unless you need carried away. Crazy, huh? That was really frustrating because the girls who hit us had obviously been out clubbing & drinking!

Julie said...

I'm gone for a week and you post practically every day? AND your first one is about getting hit by a cop? Crazy stuff. I'm glad you're okay and that D-man is good too. Poor little fella.