Tuesday, November 03, 2009

ruby and my mom

meet ruby.


she is mari's best buddy and her first american girl doll. each month when the american girl catalog comes, marissa pours over it for days, dog-earing pages for me to add to her list of wants. she doesn't beg or whine for things, just tells me over and over how much she LOVES this and how AMAZING that is. i'd love to get her one of everything, but any mother who has a daughter with one of these dolls knows how much the clothing, furniture and accessories can add up to!

so my clearly-not-thinking-pregnant-brain got the good idea to go buy some patterns, pick out some fabric and make ruby some new clothes!

yes mom, you can stop laughing now.

i enjoy sewing, but don't do it often. truthfully i couldn't even tell you how i remember the steps required to assemble a garment. i helped my mom with lots of projects as i was younger, and had a good home economics teacher in middle school (i don't remember her name, but she had the biggest nostrils i've ever seen), but sports, not sewing, was my thing.

anyway, marissa and i took on the challenge (we were at the fabric store for nearly 2 HOURS!) and here is the final result. i actually quite enjoyed myself and we plan to make some more things. i'm not sure how much money i saved, but i have a very happy 7-year-old daughter and i feel like i've accomplished something.


often throughout the process of this project, i reflected on my 5th birthday party. it was a perfect day. my friends all came and i had on a pretty dress. one of my gifts was a small, wicker suitcase FILLED with homemade clothing for my cabbage patch dolls. my mom had made each little item and i remember feeling so lucky that i had a whole new wardrobe for my dolls.

i'm sure my mom could have whipped ruby's outfit together in an afternoon. but nearly a week after starting the project it just made me love my mom even more. i imagine the amount of time she spent on top of everything else she had to do.

that's true love people.

enjoy these Polaroids from my party...



that's me in the middle, my sister nan on the left...

the basket of handmade clothes...me in the middle, nan on the left

there was even a homemade cabbage patch cake!

cyndi, you're super woman and i'm glad you're my mom.

6 comments:

Tom & Cyndi said...

Thank you Angie. I'd forgotten most of this but you helped me to remember. Now I hope I can be Super Grandma. You looked so happy in your pictures. I'm glad I spent the time to make your birthday special. You were definitely worth the effort. It's fulfilling to see the tradition live on - such little things that say "I LOVE YOU".
XO, Goldie

Evie B. said...

You did an awesome job! Knowing your mama, I'm sure she's very proud. :)

Krista said...

wow! it turned out awesome!!! you are amazing!

The Frosts said...

Great job Ang! I think you never realize how much your parents did for you until you become a parent and realize how much WORK it is to make great memories for your kids. What a nice tribute to your mom too!

Proud Momma said...

GOod for you Ang! I really wish I used my sewing machine more often too! I suck! No I'm busy...that sounds better!

Julie said...

I love it!!!!!! I love the pictures, love the tribut to Cyndi, because, well, she does totally rock and I even love the shout out to your home ec teacher with the giant nostrils! hahahahaha! Oh yeah...GOOD JOB on the clothes! That is awesome!