...our first ride in an ambulance...
while getting a game out of the cupboard for the kids to play (i'd been naively trying to clean this house, which was doing everything it's power to stay a mess...and still is), dylan , who was right behind me, started to cry. now, mom's know THE cry - the kind of cry when you drop whatever you're doing and make a haul at warp-speed to scoop up your screaming, crying child.
well, this wasn't THAT cry. it was just kind of a normal cry. he said he'd ran into the couch and bumped his neck. none of us saw him hit the couch so we had no idea what exactly had happened. truthfully he didn't seem all that hurt, just kept rubbing his neck. shortly afterwards, it became very apparent that he was in pain - so much so, that he could only turn his head to the right, could not look up or down. attempting to do so sent him into hysterics. poor little buddy!
we got an ice pack and he latched himself onto me. of course, right then the direcTV guy arrives to fix our stupid receiver that never was connected properly. about the same time, philip arrives home. we try to lay mr. D down on his bed and it's obviously not going to happen. dylan was in excruciating pain.
philip dismisses the TV technician and calls 911.
i feel so fortunate to live pretty much right around the corner from the fire department. with sirens blazing, they were here in less than 2 minutes. they put an immobilizer cuff on dylan's neck and tried to get his vitals. their bp cuff was broken and dylan was so uncomfortable so they took it off and let him latch right back onto me, his head turned just so. the ambulance showed up a short time later and the dylan/angie sandwich was loaded on the stretcher.
i also feel very fortunate to live close to a hospital because i was pretty car sick by the time we arrived. dylan's spirits were up during the ride - thanks to a sweet EMT. philip met us at the hospital (our awesome neighbor michelle, rescued marissa - who was extremely traumatized by everything) and the usual ER wait began.
x-rays show no damage and after a good dose of motrin and tylenol with codine, he seemed back to his normal self...though he'd stop in mid-sentence to grab his neck. an orange popsicle made it "aww bettew" and we were on our way home - just in time for the security system company! yay! what a morning it was.
i'm exhausted, as i'm sure you all are after reading this thankfully-not-so-scary-but-you-thought-it-was-going-to-be story.

6 comments:
ahhh! what's with the holidays and ambulances/er visits??? glad to hear he's alright!
Glad Dylan is okay.=)
traumatizing! good thing he's okay!~
Oh boy! I'm glad everything was alright, I think that is worse than the "Cry"
k so even though I already was aware of this story reading it almost made me cry for D and for you! SCARY!!!!!! I'm glad he's awww bettew! Thank goodness for orange popsicles!
Holy Cow! You're a good mom. I've had that before, but didn't call the ambulance. I said, "ah, you're all right," then two days later when it still bothered him I took him to the chiropractor for x-rays. I know how much the ambulance costs. I hate the whole medical community and their over priced treatments and the hundreds of dollars it costs to visit them. I'm glad Dylan is okay and you care enough to give the very best:)
Post a Comment