Saturday, April 08, 2006

Busy Week

Well, here it is Monday morning again and I didn't even have a chance to add to our blog last week. It was a busy one! Bright and early Monday morning I took Dylan to the hospital for his first surgery. A fairly routine procedure, Dylan had ear tubes inserted to help drain fluid that has been caught in his ear and has given him several ear infections over the last few months. After each round of antibiotic, he would almost immediately be sick again. We are grateful that there are such procedures to give children relief! Dylan seems to be doing much, much better.

I was extremely nervous (as was Phil) about the whole thing; having Dylan put under, having incisions made in his ear drums, etc. but Dylan exceeded every expectation. They said he'd wake up screaming - he didn't. They said he'd experience a lot of drainage - he didn't. He woke up from the anesthetic a little groggy, but had a big bottle of juice and then was all smiles as he made eyes and flirted with the nurses. That's our guy! You'll see two pictures of him below with his doctor-office-issued ear plugs. They're nearly impossible to get to stay in his ears without hurting him, so we're investigating other options.

We spent most of the week working on the yard - Phil especially. He is nearly finished the flowerbeds that we've been trying to get finished with a brick border and filled with brick chips. (No maintenance works for me!) The finished product looks so nice and he's worked extremely hard on it. Marissa helped me with clearing the flowerbeds and raking up some of the straw left from when we seeded last time. Our grass is already very green and we hope it will keep growing through the summer. Yard work it a lot of work! We also had a pest control company come and spray the house this week. They will continue to come every other month, hopefully curing us of our spider and other insect problems.

Marissa got to go to the church Primary Easter party this past Saturday. It was originally supposed to be an outdoor egg hunt and the children were going to plant flowers around the building. But the bad weather blew in on Friday and forced all activities inside. The kids had some scavenger hunts and decorated sugar cookies. It was pretty chaotic and not that much fun for the kids or parents. Although, when there is an open gym and kids get to run around like maniacs and be silly - that's usually the most fun for them. So I guess when she got to play tag and be chased, she had a good time.

Our little girl is quickly growing. I can't believe her first year of preschool is nearly over. One more year of preschool and she'll be in kindergarten. We're registering her for three days next fall. I hope that is sufficient to prepare her for kindergarten. Here in NC is it full day. We are so pleased with her progress. Her teachers are very complimentary of her and the strides she has made over the last 8 months. She has made some good friends - probably her best friend is a boy named Joshua. He is a good sport about chasing her around the playground, growling like a monster. She loves it. They did school pictures and her black and white photo is below. I think they turned out really nice and I like the alternative to the traditional studio portraits.

I'm on the parent council at the preschool and we had our meeting this week. We've been busy planning for a silent auction at the end of the month. I've been responsible for soliciting business in one area as well as the advertising with local newspapers. I've enjoyed meeting other moms and being a part of the planning of events. There are some sharp women in the group that seems to be able to juggle so many things at once.

A funny story from this week... there is a neighborhood cat that seems to have been interested in our home in the last week. Or, it seems to have always been walking by as we have been working in the yard. A few times Phil has chased it off (we're NOT cat people). Well the other day Phil was at the end of the driveway talking to a neighbor when the same cat came by again. He was in the middle of filling the flowerbeds and grabbed a rock and threw it at the cat to scare it away. (Did I mention we're not cat people?) So yesterday I had the kids in the wagon and we were going for a walk. Marissa looked over and saw a cat and said, "Hey mom - there's a cat over there." And then she said, "Daddy is afraid of cats." I had a good laugh over that one. Life is always more fun through a child's eyes.












No comments: